Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The gym was closed...so I walked the Brooklyn Bridge instead

I woke up yesterday morning determined to act like a "tourist" and to explore the sights, but what began as a brisk walk for fun turned into a sincere appreciation of my new surroundings. After asking the guards at THE Federal Reserve Bank for directions, I was on my way. Yep, I live right across the street from such a monumental establishment- how safe is my area? Haha. 
The sights from the bridge were INCREDIBLE. Using the "insider's viewpoint" via the research strategy of observation - I took it all in. What inspired me the most was the broad range of spectators crossing from Manhattan to Brooklyn and visa versa. Families taking tourist pictures, the elderly enjoying the view, and even the resident runners shedding a few calories before beginning their days. 
I felt just like Kate in my favorite movie, "Kate and Leopold". Similar to the movie script, I instantly envisioned myself and my surroundings enjoying the same view decades before. While the city around the Brooklyn Bridge has evolved, the infrastructure still stands unharmed. This sight is accessible to all; to all who go about their days not relishing such sights, perhaps my writing of taking pleasure in the landmarks adjacent to me will encourage you to do the same. 


Brooklyn Bridge, Manhattan in sight

Brooklyn Bridge, Manhattan in sight

Brooklyn Bridge, view from the center point 

Brooklyn Bridge, Brooklyn in sight 

No comments:

Post a Comment